Guide: Supporting shared decision making in care homes
This guide on shared decision making was co-created by My Home Life England alongside an Expert Advisory Group of people working in a range of care homes.
- Case studies, positive practice thoughts and ideas to help support and develop discussions about shared decision making.
- Links to My Home Life tools and ideas that can support people in thinking about shared decision making.
- More detailed information including some of the legal and regulatory frameworks that influence shared decision making
Sections in the guide
- Supporting people who live in the care home
- Supporting team members working in a care home
- Involving a person’s support circle
- Downloadable poster
- Policy and legislation information
View the full guide here: Shared decision making in care homes guide
View the downloadable poster (p13) here: Poster – shared decision making in care homes
When reviewing the original 2008 My Home Life bulletin of ‘shared decision making’, we were conscious that, whilst a lot of the content was still really relevant and helpful, many things had changed.
In particular we wanted this guide to be led by those working in care homes today and ‘shine a light’ on the great practice happening.
Our Expert Advisory Group met virtually over a period of 5 months in early/mid 2021 during the COVID-19 pandemic. The group’s insights and expertise helped to inform and shape the content of this guide and we thank everyone for their support.
An audio version of the full guide can be accessed below: