A message from the My Home Life England team in light of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic:
We wanted to let you know that My Home Life England is thinking of you all at this very difficult time.
We want to ensure that we are doing all that we can to listen to you, to support and care for you, and to sustain you throughout this current period of uncertainty.
Over these next few months, My Home Life England will be reaching out to our network of care home practitioners. We will be taking the time to offer a listening ear, as well as sharing your stories and any top tips, as we look to one another for support in these unprecedented times.
We have also launched ‘Conversations with Care Homes’ – a new video series on our My Home Life England YouTube channel. As a team, we will be posting regular video updates discussing real situations that you tell us you are facing, as well as ideas for practice and positive change. We want to give care homes a voice, as well as strength, support and solidarity in light of COVID-19. We really hope you find these videos useful, and please do share with your networks.
A further more detailed summary of the key themes, challenges and practice ideas that have emerged from our conversations can be found here:
We thank you for your courage in keeping spirits up, giving new things a go and, most of all, going above and beyond to support your relatives, residents and staff.
Finally, a reminder of official UK publications regarding COVID-19 that may be helpful:
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): admission and care of people in care homes – Department of Health and Social Care, Public Health England, Care Quality Commission, NHS
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Latest information and advice – Department of Health and Social Care and Public Health England
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): looking after people who lack mental capacity – Department of Health and Social Care
- COVID-19: how to work safely in care homes – Public Health England
- COVID-19: guidance on social distancing and for vulnerable people – Public Health England
- COVID-19: residential care, supported living and home care guidance – Public Health England
- COVID-19: infection prevention and control – Public Health England
- COVID-19: interim guidance on DBS and other recruitment checks – Care Quality Commission (CQC)
- Temporary VAT zero rating of PPE – HM Revenue & Customs
Other links you may find useful:
- ‘Looking after yourself and those around you’– My Home Life Bulletin for care home managers
- Death and grieving in a care home during the COVID-19 pandemic – Public Health Agency
- COVID-19 & Mindfulness, Resources for Health & Care staff – The Mindfulness Initiative
- Care Homes Strategy for Infection Prevention & Control of Covid-19 Based on Clear Delineation of Risk Zones – Eric Fewster, BushProof
- COVID-19 (Coronavirus) – The National Care Forum (NCF)
- Managing the COVID-19 pandemic in care homes – British Geriatrics Society
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Top tips in Bereavement Care and Support in Specialist Housing – Housing LIN
- ChatterPack isolation resources – Claire Ryan, NHS