The best practice themes identify ‘what older people want’ and ‘what works’ in care homes.
These eight themes were identified through a review of the literature on care by more than 60 academic researchers from universities across the UK – you can read the report here.
Click on each of the eight themes to view further information, examples of good practice from care homes across the UK, and resources to support you in delivering quality of life.
The themes can be grouped under Personalisation, Navigation and Transformation.
Those best practices which seek to personalise and individualise in homes – tailoring care to each individual:
- Maintaining identity (“See who I am”)
- Creating community (“Involve me”)
- Sharing decision making (“Connect with me”)
Those which are concerned with what needs to be done to help resident, relatives and staff navigate their way through the journey of care:
- Managing transitions (“Support me to adjust”)
- Improving health and healthcare (“Enhance my health”)
- Supporting good end of life (“Guide me to the end”)
Those concerned with the issues of leadership and management required to transform care into best practice:
- Keeping the workforce fit for purpose (“Help me develop”)
- Promoting positive culture (“Encourage me to flourish”)
Download the poster of the best practice themes by clicking the image or visiting the ‘Poster’ section of our Resource library.